This is great information, and I've learned a bit more about GC.

Mike, would it be possible to include some kind of stats (or would that be wasteful in CPU resources) - for example count table - how many times of each type, or each group have been found to be still alive.

something like

print( gcstat["table"] ) -> 5000 tables
print( gcstat["thread"] ) -> 100 threads

or b type

print( gcstat[3] ) -> 5100 (threads + tables).

>    0: nil, boolean, number, lightuserdata
>    1: string, cdata (LuaJIT only)
>    2: upvalue, userdata, closure, prototype (medium fan-out)
>    3: table (hash, array), thread (stack)

Even some heuristic would be good enough start?

This would definitely change my way of doing thing (I'm dealing with lots of geometry - meshes, vertices, and I think I'll stick my guns to use "C" structures and arrays for data that is cooked, and lua structures for live/editing of it - and functions to transfer from one to another).

Cheers!