On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM, dcharno <dcharno@comcast.net> wrote:
> There is also linenoise, a bsd replacement for readline

Works like a charm for the simple case of editing and saving history;
the completion stuff is not so sophisticated if that's a concern.

I'm using it for my UnderC project, statically-linked, just a few KB.

About (dynamically) linking to readline: if that's a problem, then
regular Lua has that problem too....but my understanding is that
dynamic linking is exactly what LGPL allows with no legal
complications.

steve d.