On 11 Apr 2012, at 21:50, John W Higgins wrote:

> but you seem to have no option to use MIT for luaprompt - you link to readline which is GPL3.

I think libedit is a non-GPL alternative to libreadline, I don't know how good it is.

Also my understanding, it that it is only the compiled libraries that would be GPL, the sourecode to something that links with GPL code can still be released under an MIT style license, as the source code itself doesn't link with anything. This still allows people work with the source without restrictions on copying/modifying it. Certainly more flexible than if the source was only available under a GPL-ish license.

Thanks,
Kevin