On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Dimiter 'malkia' Stanev <malkia@gmail.com> wrote:

Are there other ways to exploit multicores ?

Spawning multiple processes, or at least multiple instances of lua states, that communicate through some ipc.

Let's say I want to spawn another process from within the main one. This new process should carry on some computationally-intensive calculation (cryptographic stuff), possibly relying
on some OS calls. Once this process has finished, I need to callback the main one to notify for completion.
I know that to spawn a process I could use io.popen.
But, is it possible to pass it a callback ? Or, how would you do that ?

best
Valerio