I hope it's not to late to mention that clustering will be good feature to implement in prosody during GSoC.

One possible solution is running prosody as nginx worker process by writing something like XMPPCoreModule/LuaCoreModule (like HTTPCoreModule [1] and MailCoreModule [2]) for one. It will allow run prosody as local cluster easy way and steal some cool features from Nginx like effective requests limiting and load balancing.

It's HTTPLuaModule [3] for nginx, which already embeds Lua into Nginx, but this work only over HTTP.

[1] http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html
[2] http://wiki.nginx.org/MailCoreModule
[3] http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpLuaModule

Also, clustering and other stuff could be implemented in Lua. It's up to you to choose which way is right for prosody.

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Protasov.