William Ahern <william@25thandClement.com> writes:
>> The ideal scenario I had in mind was the ability to have a modified
>> LuaVM that bundles LuaLanes behind the scenes, making it invisible
>> to the developers. Legacy code would not need any modification
>> (calls to coroutines stay unmodified): the VM transparently wraps
>> those calls and redirect them to the appropriate LuaLanes calls. Is
>> this reasonable ? Does this "LuaLanesVM" exists already ?
>
> I wonder if time would be better spent hacking the Lua GC to allow
> moving objects between different states.

Yeah, some sort of "multi-thread-aware GC", which either allows
objects to be moved between threads (not so simple of course,
e.g. with deep-vs-shallow, strings, etc), or even better allows one to
just _share_ objects directly between threads, does seem the holy
grail.

Hmm, surely the interaction of GC and multi-threading must have
received a lot of research attention by now...

-miles

--
`Life is a boundless sea of bitterness'