Thanks I now have make working and have established two things I will list here for reference:

1) There is a delay between the time Xcode downloads from the Apple app store and the time it is really installed.  I cant tell exactly how long it is but just after downloading although the app store said it was installed invoking Xcode brought up an old version.  A few hours later after closing and reopening I got the newly downloaded version.

2) Downloading Xcode 4 does not download the command line tools they have to be downloaded from Xcode preferences as Gaspard described.  Further downloading a new version of Xcode leaves old versions of the command line tools in place.  This caused the make problems I experienced.  Some defaults in the old make pointed to directories that no longer exist in the new Xcode configuration once I got the new tools make works correctly.

3) the makefile for luasockets comes with make for linux as the default, some lines have to be commented out and others made active by removing # to work for OSX.  This is not mentioned in the installation instructions.

One thing I am not clear on is whether the makefiles that come with lua and luasockets are supposed to move the final files to the directories package will look for them in.  The installation instructions for luasockets lists the locations in usr that the files should be in but is not explicit on whether the makefile is supposed to move these files.  In my experience it did not.