So while we're on the subject, and since we can always ask the gc how
much memory is allocated at a given instance but not where this memory
is used.  Is there a way of finding out what values are still alive in
the Lua state, and if possible, why they're still alive?  It's a
problem I've been having on and off.  Sometimes I see that a whole
tree of values I expected to get rid off still linger but it's not
always trivial, tracing why they aren't collected.