So I got a memory leak in my 64%-Lua, 35%-C Application.

Whats the best way to determine as first step, if its a classical C
leak in the 35% of forgetting some free(), or if its a reference I
forgot to remove/set weak in a table in Lua, so its GC cannot collect?
(I got a lot of tables with criss-cross referencing)

I know how to debug C leaks, usually I did a b-tree where I put in all
pointers on [m/c]alloc, remove them on free() and on exit see what
pointers are left in it. But how to approach Lua, is there some list
of all allocated objects somewhere? Or some info How much memory the
Lua VM needs?

Kind regards,
Axel