The way I see it, lua is one of the few available "generalist languages" there are. Pretty much all other mainstream languages forcibly lock you into an OO model for example,
and there's not much you can do about it.

Lua offers me the completely free choice of jumping between OO, functional, AO, DO, or Nambla, at my free will,
which makes it -far- more 'general' to me.