On 3/9/2012 4:16 AM, Jay Carlson wrote:
On Mar 8, 2012, at 7:52 AM, sergei karhof wrote:
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM, steve donovan wrote:

But I'd say that you don't need an embedded version of Lua to run
on this one; just the necessary libraries to access the peripherals.

Hm, you are probably right. So, who is up for the challenge? ;-)

 From the FAQ at http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs, an explanation as to why I'm really not that interested in this particular board even if or when they can deliver at quantity at the promised price:
[snip snip]
It will be interesting to see if any clones become available. If Broadcom is not selling the chip on the open market, they won't.

An aye for your post. I won't be buying any either.

For PC-level complexity of control, I use a PC and go through USB. Of course a Raspberry Pi has its uses and cool projects, but a lot of the hardware projects you will see I think would not absolutely need such a board. But cool stuff gets one's attention, and that is pretty useful in the eyeballs market for blogs.

It's also not for battery-powered thingies where you need to count microamps. I can count on widely available pin-compatible AVRs and PICs ten years down the line in an SMD package I can solder and troubleshoot, versus swapping out whole boards.

It's an SoC in a hyper-competitive area -- I expect the SoC to change as Broadcom's manufacturing sees fit. Of course they will still be ARMs, so these changes should be manageable with a properly supported software layer, much like working with the Android ecosystem on mobile handsets, but it's not really my cup of tea. If I want complicated control, I just use a USB microcontroller, this can then be stuck anywhere there is a USB port. If the application is appropriate, a Raspberry Pi can then be substituted for a PC, and so on.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)