> But to keep the discussion going:
> I know that we just removed a special newline rule for Lua 5.2, but maybe
> commas in tables could be made optional if the elements are followed by a
> newline ...? That seems to be the most common use case in the given
> examples.

Indeed this is the case it makes any sense. However, I wonder if this
semi-significance of newline is more a new abscess rather than a
patch.

Consider following function in Javascript, what do you guess it returns?

function test() {
    return
        [1,
         2];
}

If you said [1, 2] you are wrong, it returns undefined. Only sense it
makes is when you go Coffescript/MoonScript/Phyton and make it full
significant including signifance of white space. Then
a = [
     afunc
     "muh"
]
is obviously an array with two items, a function point to print and
the String "muh" while
a = [
     afunc
          "muh"
]
is obviously an array with one item, the result of afunc("muh")

Go this way, or go that way, but don't half-ass things :-)