> Occasionally I forget commas when I create large nested tables in Lua.  It
> reminds me of when I was learning c and always forgetting to place semicolons at
> the end of a line.  I'm so happy that semicolons are optional in Lua.  I wish
> commas were too.

In my opinion syntactical sugar is best used to enhance readability rather than aid beginners. I promise that you'll learn to remember the commas.

> I agree that it is unfortunate.  It seems sad to miss an opportunity to simplify a language to accommodate an obscure part of the syntax.

Perhaps it is obscure to you, but a lot of people use and like that syntactical sugar. It makes certain things cleaner, especially emulating named parameter calls:

create_box { width = 2, height = 3 }

as opposed to

create_box({width = 2 height = 3})