AFAIK libuv simply wraps libev so it can have a compatible Windows
API.  So, if you don't care about windows, then a binding to libev
might be what you are looking for.  Your welcome to fork my binding
(and contributions are welcomed!):

  https://github.com/brimworks/lua-ev

I was thinking about trying to fork this project into a wrapper around
libuv, but haven't had time.  Luvit sure looks nice, but it would be
awesome if some of the core components (like integration with libuv)
could be a bit more decoupled (so you can choose which flavor of Lua
to use for example).

Note that the binding to libev was not as trivial as you might expect,
it took me 3 tries to "get it right" (so as to avoid memory leaks
caused by circular callbacks)... a good learning experience :-).

Thanks,
-Brian

--
Brian Maher >> Glory to God <<