On Feb 9, 2012, at 9:10 AM, Martin Guy wrote:

> On 9 February 2012 11:12, Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 13:35, Petite Abeille <petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 80 columns format?!? How quaint :D
>>
>> The proper quaint width of the source is actually 78 columns, I
>> believe. So that you can nicely view diffs on 80 columns display.
>
> 72. You have to allow for the first 8 IBM line number columns.
> Git agrees with me in the length of its first-line-of-commit-message.
>
> Nice to see our traditions and heritage being respected, sieg heil!
>
>  <

Well, really the card sequence number are in 73-80.  If you have FORTRAN on your punch
cards, then line numbers are in  1-5 with a continuation character (no \ at the end of the line)
in column 6, with the FORTRAN statement starting in 7 through column 72.  And not just
IBM, either, UNIVAC / Sperry / UniSys and other also used 80 column wide cards, punched
with rectangular holes.  There were other 90-column cards that were around before, perhaps
with round holes punched.  Maybe we could adopt the really retro-necro-classic 90
column wide standard?

I am sad that I no longer have any of my actual card decks with me any longer, though I
have a seemingly infinite supply of punch-card note cards.  Very strong and robust paper
stock, even 30 years later.

Louis Mamakos