On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 18:51, Daurnimator <quae@daurnimator.com> wrote:
> On 2 February 2012 20:44, Tim Starling <tstarling@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>
>> The lack of attention to backwards compatibility is concerning. I can
>> understand the environment changes, but the deprecation of math.log10
>> and table.maxn just seems arbitrary.
>>
>> Their removal from the reference manual is worse still -- people still
>> have to read and understand old code, so they need to be able to find
>> the documentation for all of the functions which are present. If you
>> want to discourage the use of a function, write in the manual "use of
>> this function is discouraged", don't just remove it.
>
> Those functions were deprecated in lua 5.1; and removed in 5.2
> (ie; you've had 6 years to remove their use from your code)
> If that isn't long enough for you; just stick with an old version.

Hm, if I'd known that I'd have asked why they weren't noted as such in
the manual... but I didn't even know, since they weren't noted in the
manual... Funny how that works. (At least, not in their descriptions,
maybe there's a list elsewhere...)

table.maxn especially seems odd to remove, as there isn't a built-in
function to do the same...

--
Sent from my toaster.