On 25 Jan 2012, at 19:28, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:

> In the statically- and explicitly-typed world, this seems like the way to deal with string manipulation

Sorry to pick out one trivial point from your message, but I feel I should clarify that when I was talking about types I meant to include both static and dynamic types. Even in a statically typed language this kind of job usually includes a lot of dynamic type checking. Also as an ML and Haskell fan I am duty bound to point out that type inference means static types do not have to be explicit :-)

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/