On 04/01/2012 7.49, HyperHacker wrote:
A thought: what if Lua allowed for the user to provide a different
hash function at build-time or when creating the Lua state? The
original function is good enough for the majority of use cases, but in
cases like this where excessive collisions could be an issue, you
could provide an alternate, maybe even using hardware-accelerated
hashing...

Oh sorry, I hadn't seen your message before posting mine. I wasn't trying to steal the idea ;-)

--
  Enrico