On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 17:42, Max de Bayser <maxdebayser@gmail.com> wrote:
>> New Year's Resolution: Full Disk Encryption on Every Computer You Own
>> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/12/newyears-resolution-full-disk-encryption-every-computer-you-own
>
> I did that once, I encrypted even my swap partition. Hibernating was slooooow...

Well if you don't encrypt swap, the encryption isn't terribly useful
as you now have an unencrypted copy of potentially anything in RAM
stored on the disk... trick is to have enough RAM that you rarely use
swap.

Personally I approach such things with a "why not?" attitude - for
virtually no effort I gain significant security. (I don't notice any
drop in speed, and though I have to enter one more password to unlock
the disk, I can also safely disable the local login prompt beyond
that, so the change is neutralized.)

--
Sent from my toaster.