On 29 December 2011 18:37, fredrik danerklint <fredan-lua@fredan.se> wrote:
> Overview:
>
> Hash tables are a commonly used data structure in most programming
> languages. Web application servers or platforms commonly parse
> attacker-controlled POST form data into hash tables automatically, so
> that they can be accessed by application developers.
>
> If the language does not provide a randomized hash function or the
> application server does not recognize attacks using multi-collisions, an
> attacker can degenerate the hash table by sending lots of colliding
> keys. The algorithmic complexity of inserting n elements into the table
> then goes to O(n**2), making it possible to exhaust hours of CPU time
> using a single HTTP request.
>
> They did mention that Lua could be vulnerably to this kind of an attack at
> the end of the presentation, so I would like to know if it is or not.

As far as I understand it, the attacks target a kind of hash tables
where colliding keys are stored in linked lists in the hash table.
When the weak hash function is abused, and a lot of keys with the same
hash are generated, the performance degrades to O(n**2). The attacks
target the simple hashing functions by Dan Bernstein, like DJBX33A,
which are used in many other languages.

Lua uses the following implementation of hash tables: (quoting from
the Lua 5.1 source code - ltable.c):

** Hash uses a mix of chained scatter table with Brent's variation.
** A main invariant of these tables is that, if an element is not
** in its main position (i.e. the `original' position that its hash gives
** to it), then the colliding element is in its own main position.
** Hence even when the load factor reaches 100%, performance remains good.

Therefore I am not sure if the attack also applies to Lua's approach.
Lua also uses a different hashing function, and I'm not sure their
technique of generating colliding hash keys also applies to it:

TString *luaS_newlstr (lua_State *L, const char *str, size_t l) {
  GCObject *o;
  unsigned int h = cast(unsigned int, l);  /* seed */
  size_t step = (l>>5)+1;  /* if string is too long, don't hash all its chars */
  size_t l1;
  for (l1=l; l1>=step; l1-=step)  /* compute hash */
    h = h ^ ((h<<5)+(h>>2)+cast(unsigned char, str[l1-1]));