> 4)  Add the convenience construt of   x += 123  (and other similar
> operators)

I would hate Lua for that since there's no such semantics in Lua.
And syntax have to reflex semantics.

In Python you may write str1 += "Something else\n" and
wonder "Why the hell the script is so terribly slow?"
'+=' is supposed to mean addition to existing memory block.
But Python is similar to Lua about that: it constructs a new string.
So Python isn't honest with me. I hope Lua won't ever be like that.