> According to [1], something similar to the first option gave warnings
> in MSVC2005.

>From the parent of that message [2], I see that the option -W4 is
passed to the compiler.
This is the maximum warning level for MSVC. The default level is -W3.
On my opinion, the level 4 is unreasonable, because it reports bunches
of pointless warnings, which are a pity to fix.
To verify that, I tried to compile Lua 5.2.0 with level 4 warnings.
There are 32 warnings for x86 !
Among them, plenty look like this:

1> warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'int' to 'char', possible loss of data

But also a number of warnings look like this:

1> warning C4702: unreachable code

This is because of the new l_noret feature.

I suggest to only fix warnings with -W3 option for MSVC, with "-Wall
-Wextra" for GCC, and with the default options for other compilers.