On Nov 26, 2011, at 5:52 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

> It is more tricky. We think that 'n' should be something explicit.
> (But we may remove the extra return, as it is redundant with the 'n'
> field.)

Or return table, 1, n.

But how many use cases are there for passing the results of table.pack directly to table.unpack?

So, I think it comes down to whether the utility of having easy access to the length value is worth the confusion caused by passing the results from table.pack to table.unpack.

Mark