On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Rob Kendrick <rjek@rjek.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 09:02:15AM -0500, Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Pavel Holejsovsky
>> <pavel.holejsovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Preferably by luarocks, "luarocks install lgi".
>>
>> .... but this is a turn off for some of us.  please, include a short
>> manual install explanation.  just a copy of the rockspeck, but in
>> english would be enough.

Well, this is the rockspec:

http://luarocks.org/repositories/rocks/lgi-0.2-1.rockspec

I may be biased with my acquaintance with rockspecs, but I tried to
write a plain English version of what's written in there, but it felt
like one of those "i++ // increment i" kind of comments. :-)

> Indeed; anything for which there are only instructions for installation
> using LuaRocks normally gets skipped by me.

I'd like to take the opportunity to request some criticism so I can
try to improve the tool.

On Unix systems (the target platform of lgi), the simple case of
installing LuaRocks under /usr/local is a matter of "./configure &&
make && sudo make install", and "sudo luarocks install lgi" would then
install the module building a standard Lua tree under /usr/local
(using /usr/local/lib/lua/5.1 and so on), provided you have the
necessary external dependencies. (The lgi builder checks external
dependencies by itself, so in that aspect it wouldn't be any different
from building "by hand"). Is there anything in your setup which makes
these procedures inadequate?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

-- Hisham
http://hisham.hm/ - http://luarocks.org/