On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Martin Linklater
<mslinklater@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. So after creating the new thread, stack position -1 contains a thread object. When you say to keep a reference to it do I need to create a Lua table entry which contains that thread object ? Or is there a simpler way ?
>
> Cheers

What I would do is use the registry table, and create an entry where
the key is a light-userdata pointer to the thread. Something like
this:

 // thread object is on the top of L's stack
 lua_pushlightuserdata(L, lua_topointer(L, -1));
 lua_pushvalue(L, -2);
 lua_settable(L, LUA_REGISTRYINDEX);

Later, if you want to remove this entry from the registry table and
make the thread garbage-collectable again, push another light userdata
and set its registry table entry to nil.

-Duncan