On 21-11-2011 17:28, Stefan Reich wrote:
Hello all Luaistas.

I think we should have a new Lua-related talking place (slightly
generalizing the term 'mailing list' here) with these fundamental
properties:

- a positive spirit
- real collaboration
- real positive group-building
- people encouraging each other
- absolutely free expression of personal emotion, no matter what kind of
emotion it is.

That new place will enable us to overcome the state of semi-paralysis and
severe (it really is severe) lack of collaboration that continues to plague
lua-l.

I'm not sure if you get the wider picture of Lua and its development. For instance it's part of proper academic research instead of fashionable commerce and hypes, which is one of the reasons why for instance the luatex project has chosen Lua. Stability and well thought slow (but still) progress have some advantages too. Actually, I can even imagine that at some point something is simply finished and okay.

Also, the Lua authors are nice and patient people, which helps creating a nice community. I really wonder of you can beat that. Well, actually I don't: you can't.

I have nothing against progress or spin-offs but if it comes with arrogant arguments like yours I don't trust it too much. You can easily take Lua and make a spin-off without these arguments, so you probably already lost a potential curious audience before you even started. Also, such arguments always make me wonder how its author would react on similar ones if he/she's a couple of years down the road.

Anyway, a separate list is a good idea ... as it will free me from reading mails like your recent ones.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE