On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Jimmie Houchin <jlhouchin@gmail.com> wrote:
> continue running. That is what its model is designed to do. Smalltalk is not
> only like operating on a live patient, but one who talks to you and can
> intelligently describe the problem, where its located and lets you do what
> needs to be done.

Apparently some delicate brain operations are done with the patient
fully conscious (the brain itself has no pain receptors) so that they
can have continuous neurological status updates.

I experimented with incremental Lua compilation, and did a
proof-of-concept based on a suggestion by Peter Cawley; if you
recompile a function, you have to give it a fake lexical environment
for its upvalues and then patch them. Entertainingly bizarre stuff.

Having the object model completely available is the killer feature,
absolutely. Static analysis can get you surprisingly far (look at
David M's LuaInspect) but when your IDE can also directly ask the
patient, you're sitting pretty.

steve d.