Just to offer another data point, I ran into this exact same issue a few days ago.  Reversing those 2 lines fixed the issue for me as well.  It would be nice to have an official patch for this eventually.

On a slightly different note, it might be a good idea to mention the lua_assert macro in luaconf.h.  I didn't know about this macro until I started debugging through the lua code trying to resolve my issue.  Without using lua_assert, I was seeing some *really* odd behavior.  In my case, this manifested itself as xpcall calling 'require' on one of my .lua files instead of calling my error function.

Regards,
Justin