I have to agree with what Dirk has said,

"What the community needs (maybe) is a sort of overall design and quaiity control
of module libraries" and "many others are pet projects
that die within a year", I think highlights this particular problem;
who maintains all those old libraries with new lua versions across each platform in this theoretical
centralised(e.g. luarocks) module repository?

There's lots of flavours of linux, and each flavour has their own set of maintainers, varying from less than 10 to more than a hundred.  However, it goes to show that there's a lot of folk out there, and I suspect if the framework was in place, lua could be maintained similarly.
For ensuring cross-platform-ness, should automatic build systems be considered? I know the distribution of binaries would not be useful, but to ensure things can build, and give the option for pre-built libraries (on certain platforms - probably useless on linux, but fine on win+mac).

The role of the maintainer would probably be to just make sure things always compile. Should the module writer be encouraged to be the module's maintainer?

Ralph