On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Matthew Wild <mwild1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Then it's perfectly possible to stick with Lua 5.1. Seriously, there
> are still people using Lua 2.0 in production.

We're not even contemplating changing the code at work, much as I want
hex escapes in strings, nothing else sounds particularly useful.
Eventually, you end in an island, and modules will be written so as to
only work in lua 5.2, so you'll have to backport, or ossify.

> I have a few lines of code to update as you know, but I never expected
> the transition to 5.2 to require no changes at all.

I know, after you said you didn't like the module() function, I
grepped prosody's sources...

I'd just rather be spending time trying to figure out how to merge
your ipv6 support for luasocket into my github repo, than reworking my
modules, so that they are the same but different.

OK, anyhow, we've all got other stuff to do. At least at this point
nobody is under the illusion that dropping module() is universally
considered a positive move, though I'm sure its irreversible.

I'll mourn lunit later, it wasn't great, but it was the best unit
testing framework I could find for lua, but its approach just doesn't
really work with lua5.2, it really did need the module function.

Cheers,
Sam