On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:48:17 -0400
Patrick Donnelly <batrick@batbytes.com> wrote:

> For those of us who've made complicated sandboxes where setfenv and
> the debug library can still exist, you will appreciate the
> introduction of _ENV. setfenv was and is a huge PITA to sandbox.

On the other hand, if you don't have access to the source of the thing
you're trying to sandbox, it may be the only way you have available.

Personally, what I'll miss most is DSL creation. The ability to swap
around the caller's environment silently makes it easy to create
"keyword-like" functions that hugely simplify the structure of
configuration and game-behaviour files. Having to tack _ENV in front of
each of those is not only very ugly, it confuses the modders.

Yeah, I can use debug.setupvalue(), but now I'm using the debug library
in release code, which last I checked was considered extremely
inappropriate under any circumstances.

	Ben Kelly