You can use .. in the top level project based on bamboo, like what you imagined. We will collect your advices, and make a decision whether to remove '+' overriding in bamboo.

Any more suggestions?

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Norbert Kiesel <nkiesel@tbdnetworks.com> wrote:
On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 09:19 -0500, Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Tang Daogang <daogangtang@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I override the __add method with ..
>
> what a pity
>
> for me, that's enough to say "thanks, but no thanks".
>
> i have nothing against using + for strings, nor i think that '..' is
> nicer than anything; but when i see the basic language modified just
> because of carry-over familiarity with other systems, it sends a BIG
> message of non-familiarity.
>
> i've made that mistake more than once; and i've always regretted it.
> now i see it as a redflag about my own newbieness on whatever new i'm
> trying to bend into the old.

I agree with that. One part that makes Lua attractive is that it's easy
to read and understand code.  Changing syntax (especially just syntactic
sugar like replacing .. with +) is just not something I want to cope
with.  I saw other "strange" things in the code (e.g. ; as separator in
table initializations) which I now assume are also there deliberately.
Too bad...

Good luck with your project!

</nk>

--