[snip]
Please don't take any of this as black and white, because I really
have never looked at the PHP code myself (except via stories like[1]).
However, from what I can tell there is basically no clean separation
between parser and interpreter/VM in PHP like there is in Lua. Don't
forget that PHP stands for Hypertext *Preprocessor*... it's amazing
(though I guess actually not) in this light that we ever got to the
point where people are writing daemons in PHP.

Regards,
Matthew

[1]: http://use.perl.org/~Aristotle/journal/33448
Thanks Matthew

Maybe this is just the price one pays for a small fast scripting language. If Lua has to be fat and slow to offer what I have been asking for then there isn't much point to it.

I think the Lua team must have a difficult job weighing the different threats and opportunities in the language business. They need a user friendly API to compete with the fat languages but don't have the libraries to make Lua a fat language itself.

-Patrick