I'm apologizing in advance for the first negative toned email I have sent to this list.

I really respect Luiz and Roberto and there have been a lot of helpful people on this list but Lua's glow is dimming for me. It's tiresome watching this endless battle between Lua titans over module while lua-peasants like me seem to be without basic tools.

I've been on the list for about 2 years, read PIL cover-to-cover >5X times bought all the other Lua books yet I had to ask another list member how to include code without module or dofile. I think every newcomer to the language would expect this to work:

(file oneVar.lua)
local x = 1

(file simpleTest.lua)
print("starting")
dofile("oneVar.lua")
print(x)
print("the end")

Yet the results are:

(results)
starting
nil
the end

I don't want to have to pack x into a table and return it, on the other end I don't want to have to define a new local variable to receive the payload from require. PHP is a poorly constructed language but include just switches execution from one file to the other and then goes back to the first, it's dead simple to pick this up. Please consider the little people down here that don't have code that will be published-Patrick