Sebastien, there is no need to take offense.  It's hard to gauge what
you know based solely email conversations. (Heck it's even hard after
having a one hour job interview in person).

I've found in open source communities, it's much more effective to
explore the idea a little on your own, have a proof-of-concept
implemented and then submit a proposal with clear pros and cons of the
idea.  And above all, don't take offense when someone doesn't
understand.  They are not you.

FWIW, I agree that lua dumps way too much in the global space.  It's a
bad practice and usually when I bring it up to people, the response
is. "Hmm, I haven't thought about, you're right we probably shouldn't
do that"

As far as my experiment, here is what I've got so far:
https://github.com/creationix/luvit/blob/master/lib/luvit.lua#L1-12

It breaks a lot of third-party code, but to me it's worth it to have a
cleaner global.  That's my personal taste, but I'm putting my "code
where my mouth is".

We're all going to be in this field for many years to come.  Let's
remember that there are real people on all sides of an email thread.

-Tim Caswell