I am not using luarocks so I won't install from there.

I embed lua by linking to the lua51.lib and having the lua51.dll next to my exe
I would like to include luatrace somehow in that setup

I tried compiling using the makefile in cygwin by commenting out all sections under "guessing target" that didnt create a dll (i.e. forcing it to choose the option that creates a dll) but I'm not sure I link it correctly to lua. I used the command -L lua51.lib

cygwin could run make install with that (ugly) hack and I got a .dll file and put that next to my exe as well.
I also mimicked the makefile in where to put all lua files from the installation and included them in my project in a lua folder next to my exe

I then tried to include luatrace in my script by require and that didn't work. require couldnt find the specified file (luatrace.lua) and I'm not too surprised since there is none.

TBH I'm just not sure which files to put where and what files I really need to run luatrace with embedded code.

I haven't tried setting luatrace up with my standalone lua installation

I got luatrace from the downloadlink at https://github.com/geoffleyland/luatrace

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Geoff Leyland <geoff_leyland@fastmail.fm> wrote:
On 5/10/2011, at 2:10 AM, Oskar Forsslund wrote:

> Ok, I tried luatrace but I have no idea how to get it to work.

Can you be a bit more specific about the problems you're having?  What have you tried?  Are you having trouble building it, installing it or running it?  If you're having problems with building or installing, did you try `luarocks install luatrace`?

> Has anyone used it together with visual studio to profile embedded luascripts?

I haven't used it with visual studio, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  Did you get any compile errors?

> Can that possible someone help me through it?

I possibly could, if you explained what the problem was.