This is the script I wrote. I suppose everybody does more or less the same.
http://code.google.com/p/lsyncd/source/browse/trunk/bin2carray.lua

In the past I thought it was oh-so-clever to use obj-copy to make a
datafile bindable, but discovered this only worked with obj-copy on
Linux, and had complaints that I set the 'executable' bit albeit its
data. So I changed to the plain - create a char array in C and compile
it variation.