Incidentally, IntelliJ IDEA has a Lua module now. (I love IDEA more
than my own grandmother so I never cease recommending it to everyone.)

The Lua module is not as super-polished as the Java section of the
IDE... but it does work quite well. (Don't know how it stacks up to
the other solutions.) And I can manage Java and Lua in one project
which is obviously neat for my Java-Lua happy-marriage-thingie.

> it’s a “GZ” file

A note to the OP: You might consider setting up a virtual Linux PC
(through VirtualBox) in your Windows 7. Just play around with it,
you're safe, you can't break anything. It's fun and you will get
accustomed to Unix file formats like GZ in no time. Incidentally, I
have a Lua-oriented Linux distribution under development that you
might like to give a spin (incredibly how I sneaked that one in, eh?
:)).

Cheers,
Stefan