From: Ralph Eastwood [mailto:tcmreastwood@gmail.com]
Sent: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 08:07:35 -0500
Subject: Re: Hmm. Why no binaries? - an open letter to Mike Pall

I find it easier to cross-compile from linux than to build things on windows directly!

On 13 September 2011 12:27, Dirk Laurie <dpl@sun.ac.za> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:05:56PM +0200, Dimiter "malkia" Stanev wrote:
> Personally I think this is a non-issue.
> Just google for "luajit.exe" simple as that!

Amen.

> On 9/9/11 6:21 PM, Stefan Reich wrote:
> > For typical users, making binaries is difficult - it can easily too
> > difficult to bother, so many will just go and use something else. The
> > docs for building on Windows are also not that great. It takes
> > guesswork, especially regarding additional libs (e.g., LuaSocket).
> >
> > Binaries for Windows are usually extremely compatible with regards to
> > different OS versions. One binary tends to run on all machines.
> > (Witness Lua for Windows!) So you wouldn't even need to maintain
> > multiple versions.

Building binaries for Windows, as Stefan rightly says, is a pain in the
ass, except for people who daily build such binaries.  In particular it
is a pain in the ass for people who are accustomed to work on developer-
friendly systems.

And as "malkia" points out, people who have succeeded in building such
binaries are usually glad to share them on the internet.  It's such a rare
and pleasant feeling to possess legally redistributable Windows software!

Dirk

--
Tai Chi Minh Ralph Eastwood
tcmreastwood@gmail.com