Sorry for quoting myself

On 11/09/2011 20.52, Lorenzo Donati wrote:
[...]
I just wanted to know if it is intentionally left undefined or it is
something we can rely on.

There are other areas in Lua where being intuitive doesn't mean
guaranteed (because of the trade-offs Lua team had to do), so my
question is not so bizarre IMHO.

I would have found intuitive that file.seek would work for very large files, but it turned out that sticking to C standard means that on platforms where a long is 32-bit the that function cannot handle files with size >2GB.

Of course it is not the same kind of problem, but I try to be more clear: is it a defined feature or just an implementation detail that, if exploited, could explode in my face at the worst moment?

Thanks again.
-- Lorenzo