On 11/09/2011 20.20, Eduardo Ochs wrote:
[...]

Does the code below help?

   fall   = function () end
   ret    = function () return end
   retnil = function () return nil end
   this   = function (...) return ... end
   print()          --> (nothing)
   print(nil)       --> nil
   print(nil, nil)  --> nil nil
   print(fall())       --> (nothing)
   print(ret())        --> (nothing)
   print(retnil())     --> nil
   print(this())          --> (nothing)
   print(this(nil))       --> nil
   print(this(nil, nil))  --> nil nil
   print(select("#"))           --> 0
   print(select("#", nil))      --> 1
   print(select("#", nil, nil)) --> 2
   print(select("#", fall()))     --> 0
   print(select("#", ret()))      --> 0
   print(select("#", retnil()))   --> 1
   print(select("#", this()))         --> 0
   print(select("#", this(nil)))      --> 1
   print(select("#", this(nil, nil))) --> 2

The language would be more complex and less elegant if "return" and
"return nil" were the same - it wouldn't be so easy to return an empty
list of results...

Thank you for the reply.
Your code samples were very clear, but I'm not arguing neither about the usefulness/coherence of the current semantics nor about changing it.

I wanted to make use of the current semantic difference between "return" and "return nil", but then I realized that I could be using a not well defined "feature".

Cheers,
   Eduardo Ochs
eduardoochs@gmail.com <mailto:eduardoochs@gmail.com>
http://angg.twu.net/