> A basic linux install can come in at under 2MB. I cannot imagine
> adding lua, java + X server or similar would increase it beyond even
> 100MB....

Well - do you only think (=dream) that or have you really checked?
You're welcome to produce a working Linux in 100 MB if you think that
is possible. Things might be a lot larger than you think, especially
if you use recent software. All the "mini" distros I tried  are either
extremely outdated (DSL) or kinda suck in various ways. so I went with
Knoppix which actually works and has a good feel to it, overall.

Here's a list of the largest packages in the Lua OS CD (uncompressed size in K):

linux-image-2.6.39.3                              	81202
openjdk-6-jre-headless                            	78224
chromium                                          	67584
libgl1-mesa-dri                                   	49960
vim-runtime                                       	25416
libgtk2.0-common                                  	21484
libflite1                                         	19816
xulrunner-1.9.1                                   	19092
libc6-dev                                         	18536
libicu44                                          	18336
perl-modules                                      	15856
gcc-4.6                                           	15412
chromium-l10n                                     	15028
libgs8                                            	14672
gnome-icon-theme                                  	13876
binutils                                          	13660
perl                                              	13172

So yeah. The Linux image alone is 81 MB. I left in Chrome because it
sucks not to have a browser IMO. And a Lua browser is still some way
off... :p

There are a couple of obvious improvement candidates of course.
vim-runtime may surely be replaced by good old standard vi (does that
still exist? :)).

Well then. Feel free to master your own CD. The size race is open!

-Stefan