On 16/08/2011 18.42, Axel Kittenberger wrote:
There are operating systems that can give you a guaranteed response
time - that are "real time" OSes.

Yes. However, I understand that for time-critical but not nanosecond-critical applications (such as MIDI music or real-time video processing) the OS can offer a middle way, usually in a 'media' library, that guarantees sub-thread-slice accuracy at the cost of some extra complication. Sort of an "almost real-time".

(I'm not an expert here, so the above statement may be inaccurate)

--
  Enrico