On 16/08/2011 10.54, Lorenzo Donati wrote:

Enrico and Sean: thanks for the reply.

I already knew some of those info, anyway. Sorry, probably I wasn't clear enough: my curiosity wasn't for the idiosyncrasies in themselves, but for a possible hardware-related reason beneath (that's why I marked OT the message).

To be clearer: I'd like to know (whether or not an OS chooses to provide an high resolution sleep function) if the modern PC hardware is capable of providing such a timing resolution to the upper sw layer by default (using some standard BIOS call or standard I/O port or whatever), or if it depends on some peculiar hw characteristic such as CPU setup, chipset or similar things.

TIA
-- Lorenzo