We work with FDT-DTM standard 1.2 which is plain old and COM based technology since year 1996.. It is a standard,  many customers are having this in place for their plant which range from thermal to nuclear plants & from old to new computers. .NET runtime is a extra overhead, so we chosen to go with Win32 route.

We have done all using VC++ & XML as a framework and also released couple of products to customers. XML helps us to define the device parameters and screen parameters and we use (V)C++  to handle custom operations. If I use Lua, I could define the configuration in Lua itself and also define the custom screen operations like enable/disable, visible/hide etc in Lua itself instead of having static XML and compiled VC++ library. For us, the writing the custom operations takes nearly 2 months for new developers. If I use Lua, I think, the effort will be less than a 1 week.

 By using Lua, I feel that we could reduce 1/10 of the code and 1/10 of the development time for average developer compared to writing C++ classes.

Most possibly, I will look into WTL classes with Lua wrapper. Anybody done Lua wrapper for WTL classes? WTL refers to Windows Template Library light weight alternative to MFC.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 1:43 AM, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Gopalakrishnan Subramani
<gopalakrishnan.subramani@gmail.com> wrote:
> language and also functional language along with .NET and LuaInterface. But
> they are just like a library level and no UI in that.
> Now I want to use the Lua for Windows UI programming.

Why not use LuaInterface and winforms?  Works really nicely, and then
all the COM interop can come from .NET

steve d.