On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 08:03:49AM +0200, Mike Nelson wrote:
> Lua isn't Python--and for every programmer who loves Python's
> significant whitespace, there is another who hates it.

The problem comes when you cut-and-paste someone else's working
code (which seems to indent in multiples of four spaces because
you happen to have set tab stop length to four) into your own
working code (which really indents in multiples of four spaces
because your editor expands tabs to spaces) and you can't see
the difference and you can't figure out why your program does
not work.  If the BDFL had decided, right at the start, that you
can have tabs or you can have leading spaces but not both in the
same program, I may still have been a Python programmer right now.

Dirk