I'm building my libraries with Windows DDK, and linking to msvcrt_win2000.obj

Here is for example .bat file to build ZeroMQ for 32-bit and 64-bit windows, that should run on Windows 2000+ (Though tested on XP SP3 and above only) and uses MSVCRT.DLL instead of the later versions.

https://github.com/malkia/ufo/blob/master/build/Windows/libzmq-wdk.cmd

I built all the libs for Windows this way.