On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:11 AM, David Given <dg@cowlark.com> wrote:
> Patrick Meehan wrote:
> [...]
>> There's also Moai SDK, an open source C++/Lua based game engine. It
>> isn't required for using the cloud service, but if mobile game
>> development is your thing you may want to check it out too.
>
> That looks extremely interesting. What do you reckon the difficulty
> would be in porting to a new platform? How would it handle devices with
> different input schemes (such as game controllers, TV remotes, etc)?

Should be straightforward. The main requirement is C++. The graphics
layer is all OpenGL, but shouldn't be too tough to replace. Custom
input schemes are easy to set up - the engine thinks about input as a
collection of sensors that can be configured per platform and fed
events.

>> The SDK is released under the CPAL license.
>
> Mmm, 4500 words. Feel the legal goodness!
>
> What's the executive summary of the license terms? My observations so
> far are:
>
> - attribution clause
> - when used as a component in an application, the application is not
> required to be licensed under the CPAL
> - if the CPAL-licensed software is modified, the modifications *are*
> required to be licensed under the CPAL, and there's a GPL-like
> requirement that source be made available for a period
>
> Is there anything else noteworthy about it?

There's a section at the bottom of our FAQ on it:
http://getmoai.com/get-started/moai-faq/

Hope that helps!