> Lua 5.2 beta implements the "NaN trick": it packs all Lua values into a
> single double value by representing non-numeric values as signaled NaNs,
> which are (usually) not produced by the system.

Thank you for pointing this out. I previously saw references to such a
"NaN Trick", but without realizing what it means.
While trying to compare the memory usage of Lua 5.1 and 5.2, I
realized that the trick was not active on my build, because Microsoft
compilers do not define any of the tokens from (__i386__,  __i386,
__X86__). So you should add _M_IX86 to that list.