On 29/06/2011 17.39, Thomas Buergel wrote:
My question for CS people out there is: is it possible to automatically
generate a parser for such an expression language automatically, given
only a "tabular" description of the operators characteristics, under
some reasonable constraints (e.g., only unary and binary ops supported;
binary are only infix, etc.)?

Not *exactly* the thing you're looking for, but pretty close:
http://loop.luaforge.net/library/compiler/Expression.html

WOW! Cool! Thank you!

I was surprised at the simplicity of it, and the fact that it's found in the LOOP package...

I wonder if its dependencies are big. As usual (for me) I'd like a pure Lua solution, maybe with no need to install anything, besides putting some files on lua path. I will investigate further... :-)

Cheers,
Tom